Developing the Cardiff Capital Region Challenge Strategy
The Cardiff Capital Region (CCR) is transforming the economy, business landscape and potential for inclusive prosperity across the most populous region of Wales. At the heart of this sits the City Deal, a collaborative programme committed to:
- Nurturing an inclusive economy where no one gets left behind.
- Fostering and inspiring innovation in businesses, public services and foundational economies.
- Matching economic ambitions with progressive social policies.
One of the CCR’s flagship programmes has been to launch (in 2020) a £10m proof of concept Challenge Fund to deliver the twin objectives of:
- Stimulating innovation in the economy by supporting firms to develop and commercialise new technology-based products and solutions; and
- Providing government departments and agencies with new, cost-effective, technical solutions to address identified policy and/ or operational problems.
Following this initial proof of concept, Steer ED has now been commissioned to develop a forward-looking strategy for the CCR Challenge Fund, to build on learnings and experience to date and create a plan to scale up the use of challenge-led innovation in the CCR.
This project builds on Steer-ED’s deep understanding of challenge-led innovation mechanisms following our evaluation of UKRI’s Small Business Research Initiative (SBRI), as well as our recent review of the Welsh SBRI Centre of Excellence’s innovation challenges to date.
Steer ED will be supporting the development of this strategy through:
- Convening stakeholders (including the ten local authorities in the region) in a series of workshops to discuss key challenges and opportunities facing the region;
- Defining and building consensus around core objectives and thematic priorities for the future programme of innovation challenges across the City Region, ensuring alignment to wider regional and national strategy aims;
- Exploring options for alternative and fit-for-purpose funding and delivery models; and
- Supporting the development of a monitoring & evaluation framework.