Graduates join us to make an immediate impact, gaining exposure to high-profile projects from their first day.
Make a difference from day one
Graduates are the lifeblood of our company; they bring a fresh perspective, fresh answers and are the future of our industry. This is why we offer an award-winning programme to help find the perfect career path for you.
Throughout the Steer Economic Development Graduate Scheme, you will have the opportunity to build on the expertise you developed during your degree, or you may choose to apply your skills in new areas and broaden your experience. Whatever path you create for yourself, you will be continually encouraged to grow.
Our graduates work on global projects, develop their professional and technical skills and have the freedom to drive their own career.
At Steer Economic Development, we combine creativity, rigour and insight with a determined attitude and an evidence-led approach to solving the most complex questions. We are seeking bright individuals with a good academic background, strong people and organisational skills and a desire to make a real difference.
Of course, we know it’s not all about work and what makes Steer Economic Development a great place to start your career is the people. Not only do you get to work alongside recognised industry experts, you also become part of a team that enjoys sharing ideas and learning from one another.
At Steer Economic Development, we have an enduring commitment to generate success for our clients, for ourselves and in the communities in which we work. As a graduate at Steer Economic Development, you will have the opportunity to contribute to this commitment from your first day, working on projects that shape the future.
Our Graduate Scheme at a glance
- Award-winning 18-month programme that provides you with the skills you need for a career in consultancy
- Personalised development programme focusing on industry knowledge, consultancy skills, technical training, project management and core business skills
- A range of onboarding activities, including meeting your fellow graduates, personal development planning and learning more about Steer and our culture
- Mentoring from senior leaders who will work with you to develop your skills
- ‘Buddy’ support from a previous graduate who will help you to settle into life at Steer
Why Steer Economic Development?
- Join one of the 'Top 100 companies for graduates to work for' as recognised by The Job Crowd
- Work on global projects with real responsibility from day one
- Develop your technical and professional skills with our structured training programme
- Be supported by a network of colleagues and mentors
- Gain an understanding of the commercial environment
- Join our Research & Innovation Club and turn your great ideas into actual projects
- Give back to your local community and environment through volunteering
- Take ownership of your own career development
Find answers to our frequently asked questions.
If you like the sound of who we are and the work we do but still have a few questions, then you might find the answers you're looking for here.
If you're still unsure about anything, please contact us.
How you think and solve problems is just as important to us as your academic achievements but we do ask for a minimum 2:1 (or equivalent) degree certification. All subjects are considered but degrees with a quantification element or social science research are preferred.
Applications for our 2020/21 UK Graduate Scheme will be accepted from October 2019.
If your application is successful, we will ask you to complete two online tests: numerical and verbal reasoning.
If you are successful in stage two, you will be invited for a first interview. During this interview, we will be looking for examples of your skills and your ability to apply them to the types of situations you will face as a consultant.
If you are successful in stage three, you will be invited to an assessment centre. The assessment centre is designed to be interactive and a fun part of the application process. You will meet graduates currently on the Graduate Scheme and find out more about life at Steer Economic Development.
If you are unsuccessful on this occasion, we will help to identify why, where possible. It also does not rule out applications for other roles at a future date.
Yes, of course! We welcome people from all backgrounds to apply, as long as you have a good academic record, strong people and organisational skills and the drive to make a real difference.
We do offer a small number of student placements. Usually, they are aimed at people who are doing sandwich courses with a year in industry or an internship as a final part of their degree. We recommend regularly checking our Job Opportunities page for relevant opportunities and vacancies.
One of the best things about working at Steer Economic Development is our people. As well as collaborating well together on projects, we also enjoy socialising together and some life-long friendships have been formed while working here.
We encourage joining networking groups and professional organisations, which hold regular meetings and social activities and help develop skills and industry networks.
Plus, we give opportunities to support and contribute positively to communities and our local environment through volunteering, which is part of our Volunteering Policy. Find out more about this on our social impact page.
We offer an attractive benefits package for the relevant market and geography. More information about our benefits can be obtained during the interview process.
Being employee-owned means that staff have a direct interest in the well-being and success of the company. The rewards of this success are shared with staff. In recognition of our employee-owned status, and to support our continued success, Steer Economic Development holds dear its ‘mission and principles’, allowing staff to be truly involved in how our company runs and its future direction.
How you think and solve problems is very important to us. However, there are common skills and qualities we look for in people who work for Steer Economic Development. These are the behaviours that capture who we are and what we look for in potential recruits:
- WE SOLVE. Combining creativity, rigour and insight with a determined attitude and an evidence-led approach; we enjoy solving the most complex questions.
- WE EXPLORE. Going beyond the expected to ﬁnd fresh answers, we see ourselves as pioneers, who confidently make bold decisions about the direction of our company and embrace change.
- WE BELONG. We are transparent and honest. We are a collective who encourages open dialogue and an attitude of discovery. Our many cultures and experiences are embraced and we thrive on our diversities.
- WE COLLABORATE. We enjoy working in teams, collaborating across disciplines and across continents. We build connections, share ideas and learn from our colleagues and clients.
- WE MAKE A DIFFERENCE. We are committed to providing powerful answers that make a tangible difference; one that we can see, measure and value. A difference that helps people, places and economies thrive.
Ready to apply?
Applications for our Graduate Scheme are now open.
If you’re interested in the idea of helping clients to develop and regenerate places, sectors and markets through economic development, then a graduate role at Steer Economic Development, might be the right place for you. Applications are now open for our Leeds and Manchester offices, so please submit your application below.