Northern Powerhouse Trade and Investment Proposition
Steer- ED worked with the Northern Powerhouse Trade and Investment Officers’ Forum to develop a pan-northern proposition for devolved trade and investment arrangements.
This was achieved through the following tasks:
- Identify strategic objectives for pan-northern trade and investment – ‘the size of the prize’;
- Identify a longlist of potential strategic and operational actions to promote pan-northern trade and investment;
- Develop criteria for shortlisting options;
- Facilitate discussion to shortlist options; and
- Identify the governance requirements for devolved pan-northern trade and investment arrangements.
The project concluded with the preparation of the following outputs:
- A set of proposed Operational Actions to promote exports and inward investment, including internationalisation of business support, overseas representation of the North in key markets, and the development of ‘collateral’ to promote the North and its Prime Capabilities;
- A set of Strategic Actions, including the establishment of research and innovation zones and free ports based on the North’s Prime Capabilities and the use of public sector procurement power to leverage investment in innovation in the North; and
- Proposals for a Northern Powerhouse Trade and Investment Leadership Board to establish a pan-northern trade and investment plan and common performance management framework.