Principal & Senior Economic Development Consultants [Ref: ED12]
- Opportunity to develop senior level role in fast growing consultancy
- Highly competitive package, and flexible working on offer
Steer is one of the UK’s leading independent consultancy businesses specialising in transport, movement, and related sectors. Established in 1978, and operating as a fully employee-owned business, it now employs over 400 staff in the UK, mainland Europe, North and Latin America, and India.
In 2016, Steer launched a new integrated economic development practice, Steer Economic Development. Working across places, sectors and markets we provide a rounded economic development offer covering innovation, enterprise, infrastructure (including housing) and skills.
We have grown significantly over the last two years and started to establish ourselves as a leading practice. Our clients include the central government departments and agencies, Combined Authorities, Local Enterprise Partnerships, cross-sector partnerships, universities, and private sector clients.
We have ambitious plans for further growth. We want to become the leading economic development consultancy nationally, and to expand internationally. To power and shape this growth, we are looking for experienced, ambitious and driven people to expand our team and help grow our business.
- Principal and Senior Consultants (positions offered will depend on candidates’ experience and skills);
- Manage and deliver projects (to time, cost, and required quality) as a Project Manager,
- Deliver high quality quantitative and qualitative consultancy and analysis, and produce high quality written reports;
- Manage multi-disciplinary teams and support the development of junior members of the team;
- Lead and contribute to the submission of proposals to support work-winning; and
- Maintain and develop client relationships and develop contact network to help build our client base and strengthen the team.
- Passionate and informed about the role of economic development in developing and growing sectors, markets and places;
- Experience in a commercial consultancy environment, including demonstrable project management experience, and the ability to deliver high-quality work to client deadlines, budgets, and briefs;
- Highly motivated and commercially-minded, with an appetite to grow the business;
- A team player with strong commitment to supporting the development of junior staff, and sharing knowledge upwards as well as downwards;
- A commitment to broadening and deepening personal skills-sets as part of Continued Professional Development, and to respond to changing client needs;
- Strong numeric and analytical skills;
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills including experience of communicating effectively and convincingly with clients; and
- Be educated to degree level (2:1 or equivalent, or higher).
- Experience and knowledge of HM Treasury’s Green and Magenta Books, and appraisal and evaluation guidance from relevant UK Departments of State;
- BSC in Economics, Geography, Mathematics or a Natural Science, ideally with at least 50% of degree in Economics;
- Hold an MSc/MA/MBA in a relevant discipline;
- Have skills in data manipulation and analysis across a range of software packages (e.g. MS Excel, Access, SPSS etc.);
- Have a good understanding, and experience of using, national datasets relating to the economy (including enterprise, skills, innovation, competitiveness, and trade/investment); and
- Line management experience.
Steer is an equal opportunities employer; part-time and flexible working applications will be considered.
If you wish to apply for this role, please fill in our online application form below.