Consultant - Steer Economic Development [Ref:ED/119]
We are Steer and we help people, places and economies thrive. Founded in 1978, Steer is a global business consultancy specialising in transport, cities and infrastructure, with over 450 staff in 20 offices around the world.
Steer Economic Development, our integrated economic development practice, is focused on understanding how the economic potential of places and their assets can be realised, doing so in ways which understand the tensions that often present in space, people, or knowledge-constrained situations.
Steer Economic Development is seeking to recruit an economic development professional looking for their next progressive career move. The role involves working with existing clients and developing relationships with new ones, the ideal applicant will have some experience of consultancy work and able to work from our Leeds or Manchester office.
The post-holder will be required to:
- Support the submission of proposals to support work-winning;
- Assist Project Managers to deliver successful projects (to time, cost, quality);
- Broaden and deepen your skill set to improve marketability to clients and progress to senior consultant;
- Contribute to effective team performance;
- Be committed to your personal development to drive your own career development; and
- Develop and provide technical and process–consultancy expertise.
- Be passionate about the role of economic development in developing and regenerating places, sectors, and markets, and allowing them to achieve their potential;
- Consultancy background;
- Demonstrate understanding of ‘what works’ in integrated economic development, and understand how the components of integrated economic development, (knowledge, labour, infrastructure, enterprise, and competition) contribute and interface;
- Have demonstrable project delivery experience, including the ability to deliver high-quality inputs within project deadlines;
- Have strong skills in data manipulation and analysis across a range of software packages (e.g. MS Excel, SPSS etc.);
- Have a good understanding of, and experience of using, national datasets relating to the economy (including enterprise, skills, innovation, competitiveness, and investment).
We offer a competitive benefits package and invest significantly in the technical and soft-skills development of our employees. We aim to attract, develop and retain the best talent by creating a supportive environment in which all employees are given opportunities to learn, develop and grow to enable and support them in achieving their full potential. Learning and Development activities and continued professional development are regarded as essential to the continued success of our people and their business.
Why join us
We believe in empowering our people and giving them the opportunities to shine. Being an employee-owned company means that our people are dedicated and passionate about what they do, and it is the reason why we are at the forefront of our industry.
Steer is an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications regardless of age, race, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity or gender. Part-time and flexible working applications will be considered.
If you wish to apply for this vacancy please complete our online application form and attach your CV with covering letter quoting reference [Ref: ED/119]
Closing date for applications: Friday 5th March 2020