Consultant - Climate Change [Ref:ED/121]
We are Steer and we help people, places and economies thrive. Founded in 1978, Steer is a global business consultancy specialising in transport, cities and infrastructure, with over 450 staff in 20 offices around the world.
Steer Economic Development, our integrated economic development practice, is focused on understanding how the economic potential of places and their assets can be realised, doing so in ways which understand the tensions that often present in space, people, or knowledge-constrained situations.
Steer Economic Development recognises that planning for the future must address the many uncertain challenges that lie ahead including the costs, impacts and opportunities of climate change. Enabling the decarbonisation of economies whilst ensuring they are resilient to current and future climate impacts is a key element of our work and we are building a climate change team to enhance and develop our current services.
We are looking to recruit dynamic, ambitious individuals who are effective and collaborative team members, and who can deliver complex and challenging projects that address economic development and the climate challenge.
Key roles and responsibilities
- Support the submission of proposals to support work-winning;
- Assist Project Managers to deliver successful projects (to time, cost, quality);
- Broaden and deepen your skillset to improve marketability to clients and progress to senior consultant;
- Contribute to effective team performance;
- Be committed to your personal development to drive your own career development; and
- Develop and provide technical and process–consultancy expertise.
Desired experience and attributes
- Passionate about the need to address climate change to minimise future global warming and to build the resilience of economies, societies and environments to its impacts;
- Understanding of climate change science, the decarbonisation agenda, climate change risk assessment and adaptation planning;
- Appreciation of the linkages, benefits and potential conflicts between mitigating and adapting to climate change and economic development;
- Educated to degree level (2:1 or above) preferably in Environmental Science, Geography, Town/Urban Planning, Natural Sciences or other climate change-related subjects;
- Have demonstrable project delivery experience, including the ability to deliver high quality inputs within project deadlines;
- Good understanding of subnational, UK, European and UN policy frameworks and guidance;
- Strong skills in data manipulation and analysis across a range of software packages (e.g. MS Excel, SPSS etc.), as well as experience of using national climate change projections and carbon assessment methodologies;
- Ability to communicate complex analysis succinctly and effectively.
Why join us
We believe in empowering our people and giving them the opportunities to shine. Being an employee-owned company means that our people are dedicated and passionate about what they do, and it is the reason why we are at the forefront of our industry.
Steer is an equal opportunities employer and encourage applications regardless of age, race, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy/maternity or gender. Part-time and flexible working applications will be considered.
If you wish to apply for this vacancy please complete our brief online application form and attach your CV and covering letter quoting reference [Ref:ED/121].
Closing date for applications: Friday 27th March 2020